This is an old fashion recipe my mother use to make, but still so good.
Make and share this Date Meringue Bars recipe from Food.com.
- Beat together butter, granulated sugar, egg yolks and vanilla.
- Add flour and mix to form a thick batter. Press in a greased 9”x7” pan.
- Measure water, dates, brown sugar in over dates in medium saucepan and cook till thickened. Spread over base in pan.
- Beat egg whites until frothy, slowly add brown sugar and beat to stiff peak stage. Spread meringue over dates.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 30 minutes.
I was thrilled to find your recipe! I used to make these squares all the time from a old cookbook that I cannot find! Your recipe saved the day! Thank you, I love these squares and am looking forward to serving them for company tonight.
My mom made these every Christmas and I know we would fight over them, LOL. BTW, they freeze really well. Fabulous for a treat.
These were wickedly rich,,,the biscuit base was to die for, the meringue tasted like butterscotch and the filling divine.The only change I made was to use gluten free flour mix instead of ordinary flour. I think when I make it again (Oh yes I am making this again!!!) I might add a little lemon juice to the dates, just to cut the richness....And my diabetic husband has begged me to reduce the sugar content so he can indulge ( sorry I mean over indulge)