Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an old fashion recipe my mother use to make, but still so good.
Make and share this Date Meringue Bars recipe from Food.com.
- Beat together butter, granulated sugar, egg yolks and vanilla.
- Add flour and mix to form a thick batter. Press in a greased 9”x7” pan.
- Measure water, dates, brown sugar in over dates in medium saucepan and cook till thickened. Spread over base in pan.
- Beat egg whites until frothy, slowly add brown sugar and beat to stiff peak stage. Spread meringue over dates.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 30 minutes.
I was thrilled to find your recipe! I used to make these squares all the time from a old cookbook that I cannot find! Your recipe saved the day! Thank you, I love these squares and am looking forward to serving them for company tonight.
My mom made these every Christmas and I know we would fight over them, LOL. BTW, they freeze really well. Fabulous for a treat.
These were wickedly rich,,,the biscuit base was to die for, the meringue tasted like butterscotch and the filling divine.The only change I made was to use gluten free flour mix instead of ordinary flour. I think when I make it again (Oh yes I am making this again!!!) I might add a little lemon juice to the dates, just to cut the richness....And my diabetic husband has begged me to reduce the sugar content so he can indulge ( sorry I mean over indulge)