Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a very old recipe, It goes back to my Grandmother, that was born in 1878.
Make and share this Date Loaf Candy recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons Karo syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 (8 ounce) packagechopped dates
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- You will also need: 1 clean damp cloth.
- Cook first 3 ingredients, in a med boiler on top of stove.
- Bring to a rolling boil, after 3 minute of this, put a spoon full in a bowl of cold water and check for a soft ball.
- (It should be firm enough to pick up with your fingers.) Keep checking till you get the soft ball.
- Then add the dates, and mix until dates have melted.
- Then add nuts and roll out onto damp cloth, and roll into a log shape.
- Put into Refridgerator until cold,cut into thin slices.
Thank you, this is an excellent recipe. I too have the same one from my grandmother born in 1878. The only difference I found in the instructions was to use a linen napkin?
Ny Dad's favorite Christmas treat which my Mom made each and every year. Very, very rich....one piece will satisfy, at least for a while. Love this candy once a year. The recipe was passed on from my great great grandmother who was born in the 1860's.
It was so strange reading this recipe because I knew exactly how it tasted. Then I could remember eating this when I was a little child. My Great Granny made it around Christmas for the adults. I am going to make it, though, my grandchildren won't care for the dates, our grown children will. Thanks for a great menory.