Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love dates, and so I love to try anything with them in it. These were gobbled up even by kids....not sure if they knew what dates were!
- 1 (8 ounce) package dates, pitted and chopped (I can usually find this all in one package, no pitting or chopping!)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats, uncooked
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
- Combine the dates, 1 cup sugar, and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer uncovered, for 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat, and let cool.
- Combine the flour and the next 4 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring well. Add butter and vanilla, stirring well.
- Press half of the oat mixture into a greased and floured 13 x 9x 2 inch pan. Pour the cooled date mixture over the crust. Crumble the remaining half of the oat mixture over the date mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Let it cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill until it is firm.
- Cut into bars; gently roll the bars in powdered sugar.
I'm with you when it comes to lovin' dates, especially the Medjool variety, & I almost always have a large container of 'em around for snacking & using in recipes like this one! Followed your recipe right on down & they were delicious! Many thanks! [Made & reviewed in Newest Zaar recipe tag]