Recipe by breezermom
I love dates, and so I love to try anything with them in it. These were gobbled up even by kids....not sure if they knew what dates were!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I'm with you when it comes to lovin' dates, especially the Medjool variety, & I almost always have a large container of 'em around for snacking & using in recipes like this one! Followed your recipe right on down & they were delicious! Many thanks! [Made & reviewed in Newest Zaar recipe tag]
- 1 (8 ounce) package dates, pitted and chopped (I can usually find this all in one package, no pitting or chopping!)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats, uncooked
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the dates, 1 cup sugar, and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer uncovered, for 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat, and let cool.
- Combine the flour and the next 4 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring well. Add butter and vanilla, stirring well.
- Press half of the oat mixture into a greased and floured 13 x 9x 2 inch pan. Pour the cooled date mixture over the crust. Crumble the remaining half of the oat mixture over the date mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Let it cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill until it is firm.
- Cut into bars; gently roll the bars in powdered sugar.