Recipe by Angela
This recipe is from the Edmonds Cook Book. My kids love this, especially as an after school snack with a glass of milk. It has a lovely rich caramel flavour. I make mine without the walnuts and it's still great. Prep time includes 1 hour for soaking dates in boiling water.
Top Review by Solvsten D.
Very dissapointed with texture ,taste it was just to be thrown in the bin. Not sure how all those 5 stars appeared .It is very annoying however quick the recipe may be to have to bin it. Best to not put it u at all.
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups plain baking flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Put dates, boiling water, butter and baking soda into a bowl and stir until butter is melted.
- Set aside for one hour.
- Beat sugar, egg, vanilla essence and walnuts (if using) into date mixture.
- Sift in flour and baking powder and stir until just combined.
- Pour mixture into a greased 22cm loaf tin and bake in a 180C oven for 45 minutes or until inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in tin for about 10 minutes before turning out onto cooling rack.