Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
I believe this was the Queen Mother's favourite cake!
- 1 cup boiling water, over
- 1 cup chopped dates, and
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, in a large mixing bowl
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 0.25 (60 ml) butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 75 ml brown sugar
- 30 ml butter
- 30 ml cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Let first 3 ingreds stand while rest is mixed.
- Add all ingreds to the date mixture.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Bake in loaf pan at 180ºC for 40-45 minutes.
- Mix ingreds together & boil for 3 minutes.
- Spread on cooled cake & sprinkle with nuts.
Very, very good. I love dates and this is something I would have again. Adopted for Spring 2008 PAC.