Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Sweet and moist, but also nutritious and low-fat.
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 50 g butter, cubed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups self raising flour
- Set oven at 180 degrees C or 350 degrees F.
- Combine dates and sodium bicarbonate in a mixing bowl.
- Pour in boiling water and mix. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add butter and mix until it melts.
- Add egg, sugar and flour and mix well.
- Place in a well greased loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until cooked.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack.
Wow! This loaf was unbelievably moist. So easy yet so very delicious. I also used 1/2 cup white sugar and 1/4 brown, worked great! will make again.
Excellent date loaf that is easy and tastes good. I baked mine in my convection oven for 40 minutes and it turned out well although I had a small slightly burnt area on top so next time I will get the brown paper out so that it doesn't happen again. I used a silicon loaf form which worked extremely well too.
Well this is absolutely delicious!! Super quick to put together, and a very moist cake - loved it! Only change I made was to use 1/2 cup white sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar, because I don't like baking with brown sugar. Turned out fine - I'll be making this one regularly Midge - THANKS! :)