- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 50 g butter, cubed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups self raising flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven at 180 degrees C or 350 degrees F.
- Combine dates and sodium bicarbonate in a mixing bowl.
- Pour in boiling water and mix. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add butter and mix until it melts.
- Add egg, sugar and flour and mix well.
- Place in a well greased loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until cooked.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack.