Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 4 cups dates, stoned but not cut up
- 1 lb walnut pieces, not cut up
- 1 lb candied cherry, not cut up
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix dates, walnuts and cherries.
- Sift together flour, salt and baking powder, and mix with the fruit mixture. Add sugar and mix.
- Beat 4 egg yolks until thick and mix thoroughly through cake mix. Add vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and dry and fold into mixture.
- Line 2 loaf pans with wax paper, pour in mix and bake 1 hr at 350 degrees, or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Oven temperatures vary. Do not overbake if you have a hot oven.
the baking time of 1 hour at 300 degrees plus overbakes the cake and also chars it.