Prep 2 hrs
Cook 12 mins
These can be frozen. You may slice and bake fresh cookies whenever you like.
- 1⁄2 cup oleo
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 lb snipped dates
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cookies: Cream oleo, sugar and milk.
- Sift and add dry ingredients.
- Mix well and chill well (at least an hour).
- Roll thin on a piece of lightly floured plastic wrap and cover with a thin layer of filling.
- Roll dough up jellyroll style.
- Chill thoroughly.
- Preheat over to 350°F.
- Cut in slices and place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.
- Filling: Simmer and stir sugar, dates and water until thick.
- Add vanilla and cool.
There is many recipes for cakes or cookies with date filling. In most of them, the way to make the filling is to cook the date with water and some more ingredients. I found that date filling is much more tasty if processed it with liquid in food processor to a paste instead cooking it. Also the filling is more tasty if using some tasty liquid like wine, orange juice etc instead water . Amiram Eilat Israel
These came out so pretty - made them for a baby shower, and they looked lovely on the cookie tray. I made them exactly as written except for subbing butter for the margerine. They are a really good cookie - thanks for the recipe !