Recipe by Martina
This makes a huge batch, cut the recipe in half if desired. These cookies are best if they sit for a couple of days to soften. They freeze well also. From Company's Coming Cookie cookbook.
- 2 cups butter or 2 cups margarine, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb chopped dates
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugar together well.
- Slowly mix in milk.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Roll out fairly thin on lightly floured board.
- Cut into 2 1/2-inch rounds.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Fill with Date Filling, to form a sandwich.
- For date filling: combine dates, sugar and water in saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer, stirring often, until mushy and thickened.
- Add more water if too dry, or simmer longer if too runny.
- Cool and spread between cookies.