Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mom would make these every Thanksgiving and we could not wait to get our hands on them.
Make and share this Date Filled Oatmeal Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups Quaker Oats
- 3 cups pitted chopped dates
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Mix shortening, butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Mix oats into flour mixture.
- Mix oat mixture into shortening mixture until crumbly.
- Put half of the oat mixture in a 9" x 13" greased and floured pan and press and flatten in pan.
- Date filling:.
- Place dates, sugar and water in medium saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened - about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Spread date filling onto oat crust.
- Cover with remaining crumb mixture, press lightly.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Let cool and cut into bars.
We loved these! They had lots of gooey filling and a nice crunch from the oats. Plenty to share and definitely a keeper! Thank you.
We loved these. I did use all margerine instead of Crisco/butter because that was what I had and I think it turned out just fine. They were all gone quickly.