- 1⁄2 cup Crisco shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups Quaker Oats
- 3 cups pitted chopped dates
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix shortening, butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Mix oats into flour mixture.
- Mix oat mixture into shortening mixture until crumbly.
- Put half of the oat mixture in a 9" x 13" greased and floured pan and press and flatten in pan.
- Date filling:.
- Place dates, sugar and water in medium saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened - about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Spread date filling onto oat crust.
- Cover with remaining crumb mixture, press lightly.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Let cool and cut into bars.