Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you like dates, you will like these.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, spices and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream the vegetable shortening and sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Fold in the dates and walnuts.
- Drop the dough by spoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until lightly colored. Transfer to wire racks to cool.