Recipe by mandabears
Delicious date bars that are easy to make and wonderful to eat. Uses buttermilk baking mix.
- 8 ounces pitted dates, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 cups buttermilk baking mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal, uncooked
- 3⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan combine dates with 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Bring to boil over medium low heat.
- Stir constantly until sugar dissolves and mixture thickens, about 8 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Spray a 9 inch square pan generously with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine brown sugar, butter, and shortening.
- Blend in baking mix, oats and brown sugar until mixture is crumbly.
- Press 1/2 of the mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
- Spread evenly with date mixture.
- Crumble remaining crumb mixture evenly over date layer.
- Press down lightly.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Cut into squares.