Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe was found in the 2008 cookbook, Fruit!
Make and share this Date Crumble Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dates, pitted, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup fresh orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup rolled oats (a generous cup!)
- 1 1⁄2 cups self rising flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, then grease & line (with parchment) a 7"x11" cake pan.
- Combine the dates & orange juice in a saucepan & bring to a boil before turning the heat down to low ~ Cover the saucepan & simmer gently for 5 minutes to soften the dates.
- Remove from the heat & mash the date mixture until smooth, then set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter & sugar, then stir in the oats & flour to form a crumbly mixture.
- Press half of this mixture into the base of the prepared pan to form a smooth base, then use a fork to prick the base all over.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Spread the date paste over the cooked base & sprinkle the remaining crumbly mixture over that as a topping.
- Return to the oven & bake for another 30 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven, cut into 12 bars & allow to cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Great served either warm or cold.
Who could turn down a date with these sweet date bars? No one I have met as everyone who tasted them declared it was love at first bite. If you are a fan of dates and crumb toppings you must try these. I made as written and will make again, thanks for the post.
Wow, are these awesome. A great recipe that needs to addtions/deletions. Loved by all I shared with. Made for SweetTraditions.
Moist and yummy - no changes made to recipe at all . Rated highly by all family members !! Made for Holiday Tag.