Recipe by mell_2
Date Crumb Squares have long been a Candle favorite. They’re a great healthy snack and a good treat to pack in a lunchbox. Start soaking the dates a day before you want to bake the squares. Adapted from the candle cafe cookbook
- 1⁄2 cup pitted dates, whole
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups oat flour
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts or 3⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt (fine-grained)
Directions See How It's Made
- The day before, soak the dates in 1 cup of water to soften. Drain, put the dates in a food processor, and process until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, rolled oats, and walnuts or pecans and mix together well. In another bowl, blend together the safflower oil, maple syrup, almond extract, and sea salt. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and mix well.
- Press half of the mixture into a greased 12 x 6-inch baking pan. Spread the puréed dates over the mixture, top with the remaining half of the flour mixture, and press down lightly.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool and cut into squares.