These bars are delicious, wholesome and always received with great enthusiasm! A perfect gift for someone who is a bit under the weather or a new mom, or take a tray over to that new neighbour! (Better yet, be selfish and keep them all to yourself!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb whole pitted dates
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
CRUST AND TOPPING
- 1For the filling, combine the dates,brown sugar and orange juice in a medium saucepan.
- 2Cook over medium heat until the brown sugar dissolves.
- 3Simmer for 3 minutes or until the dates are tender and the syrup is thickened.
- 4Cool to room temperature.
- 5Stir in the vanilla and then process the mixture in a food processor until smooth.
- 6For the crust, mix the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- 7Add the butter and rub in with the fingers until the mixture has the texture of coarse cornmeal and forms moist clumps.
- 8Press half the crumb mixture into the bottom of a buttered 9 X 13 baking pan.
- 9Spread the filling over the bottom crust.
- 10For the topping, mix the walnuts with the remaining crumbs and sprinkle this mixture over the filling.
- 11Bake at 350*F for 40 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown.
- 12Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- 13Cut into squares and serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Date Crumb Bars
Serving Size: 1 (135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 510.9
- Calories from Fat 189
- Total Fat 21.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 40.6 mg
- Sodium 175.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 55.0 g
- Protein 5.5 g