Recipe by hnong
My Grandma Deuel had this recipe, but I changed the additions of nuts to toasted pecans and toasted coconut and added Irish Cream instead of vanilla to the milk (she used whole milk). I tracked it down on the internet and found that it was posted in a magazine in the 1960's called the "Farm Journal." This is just part of the whole recipe for Ice-Water Fudge Cake with Date Cream Filling and Fudge Frosting. I promise I'll add the original recipe, too!
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup Baileys Irish Cream
- 1⁄2 cup dates, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sweetened coconut, shredded, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the milk and the irish cream and chopped dates in top of a double boiler and cook until it's hot and has a smoother texture.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour, sugar and egg, blending until smooth. Set aside. Toast your pecans in a dry pan and then chop. Toast your and coconut in the same dry pan and add to the pecans. Set aside.
- Re-stir your egg mixture and add to the hot milk mixture. Cook, stirring, until thick. Cool.
- Stir in the pecans and coconut. Spread between the layers of your cake.