Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Awrey's was a local bakery in Detroit. These cookies were my favorites. Printed 12/12/1963 in section # 2 cookbook (out of print) Bob Allison’s Ask Your Neighbor
- 1 (8 ounce) package dates
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick oatmeal (dry)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Mix filling ingredients in saucepan. Cook til smooth. (Raspberry or strawberry jam may also be used as filling.)
- Mix cookie ingredients as if for a pie crust.
- Pat one half of the mixture on a buttered (8x8x2 inch) pan.
- Press down firmly and spread on the filling.
- Cover with the other half of the oatmeal mixture and press down lightly.
- Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes. Cut into squares.
These are quite tasty. I felt the cookie mix needed a bit more butter or less dry ingredients, so I will reduce the flour and oats a bit next time, but the cookies were delicious.
Another winner ElaineAnn - these are delicious. I love desserts made with dates and these were so easy to make. I did add about 1/4 cup of ground flax meal in the mix, just for a little more healthiness. I will make these again for the Christmas cookie tray! Thanks for posting. Made for national Diabetes Month in the Diabetic Forum!
I never cared for sweets. I bake for my family, this is a recipe I sampled! Delicious!!!! My family agrees.