Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My mother used to make this every year at Christmas time. One of my favorite comfort foods. Easy to put together. If you don't want to chop your own dates buy the boxed variety. Cooking time includes simmering the dates.
- 1 cup finely chopped dates
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour 9 inch square pan.
- Mix dates and water, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cool, then stir in soda.
- In mixing bowl, cream together shortening and 1 cup of the sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla and blend until smooth.
- Mix flour, cocoa, and salt.
- Add flour mixture and dates to creamed mixture and beat together until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Mix together the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Sprinkle over top of cake.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until cake tests done.
my mom makes something very close to this and it is SUPER DUPER GOOD!