Recipe by evelyn/athens
This cake is delicious, moist and a cinch to make. I love the way the dates melt into the chocolatey cake, giving it incomparable flavour and texture.
- 1 lb pitted dates, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 3 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces chocolate chips
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 extra large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine dates and water in medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove from heat and let dates cool in liquid; do not drain.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter and flour 13 X 9 inch pyrex baking dish.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt into a large bowl.
- Combine chocolate chips and walnuts in medium bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter with sugar in another large bowl, about 8 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Beat in ¼ of undrained dates.
- Beat in ¼ of flour mixture.
- Continue adding date and flour mixtures alternately to batter, beating well after each addition, ending with flour.
- Pour into pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chip/nut mixture evenly over top.
- Bake about 45-50 minutes.
- Let cool in pan.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar if desired.
- This will stay moist for days if wrapped in foil.