1/3 Photos of Date Cake
1 hr 5 mins
This cake is delicious, moist and a cinch to make. I love the way the dates melt into the chocolatey cake, giving it incomparable flavour and texture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb pitted dates, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 3 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces chocolate chips
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 extra large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- icing sugar
- 1Combine dates and water in medium saucepan.
- 2Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 3Remove from heat and let dates cool in liquid; do not drain.
- 4Preheat oven to 350F.
- 5Butter and flour 13 X 9 inch pyrex baking dish.
- 6Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt into a large bowl.
- 7Combine chocolate chips and walnuts in medium bowl and set aside.
- 8Cream butter with sugar in another large bowl, about 8 minutes.
- 9Add eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition.
- 10Stir in vanilla.
- 11Beat in ¼ of undrained dates.
- 12Beat in ¼ of flour mixture.
- 13Continue adding date and flour mixtures alternately to batter, beating well after each addition, ending with flour.
- 14Pour into pan.
- 15Sprinkle chocolate chip/nut mixture evenly over top.
- 16Bake about 45-50 minutes.
- 17Let cool in pan.
- 18Sprinkle with icing sugar if desired.
- 19This will stay moist for days if wrapped in foil.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Date Cake
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 619.1
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 82.1 mg
- Sodium 454.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 56.7 g
- Protein 8.8 g