Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was my grandmother's and the smell of this cake baking is the smell of Christmas to our family! It is a very dense, heavy cake, almost more like a bread, and loaded with dates, cherries and nuts. We usually use home-grown black walnuts in ours! Do not be intimidated by the number of steps it takes to make this cake-it actually goes together very quickly and is well worth the trouble.
- 2 cups dates, chopped
- 2 cups nuts, chopped
- 1 cup candied cherry, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten separately (whites separate from yolks)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, sift before measuring
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour and baking powder together.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Put dates in a large mixing bowl and stir baking soda into them.
- Pour 2 cups boiling water over dates.
- Add butter and sugar mixture and stir well.
- Add egg yolks and stir.
- Coat nuts with some of the flour and then add them to the mixture.
- Add the flour and spices and mix well.
- Last add the egg whites and stir. (Note: you do not have to beat the egg whites to a stiff peak before adding; just beat them until blended).
- Bake in a greased loaf or tube pan (angel food pan) for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. If you use a standard loaf pan, this will make two loaves.