- 500 ml flour
- 400 ml sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 ml baking powder
- 375 ml butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups pitted dates, chopped
- 250 ml boiling water
- 5 ml baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 45 ml butter
- 45 ml milk
- 45 ml sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Put dates in boiling water with baking soda and leave to cool.
- Cream sugar, butter and vanilla extract.
- Add egg and dates and mix in well.
- Add all dry ingredients.
- Place in prepared baking pan and ake at 180C for 45 minutes.
- 5 minutes before cake comes out of oven, boil topping ingredients together for 3 minutes.
- Stab cake with knife and pour topping over as it comes out of the oven.
- Serve warm or cool.