Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Family Circle magazine
Make and share this Date Bread and Butter Pudding With Easy Boozy Toffee Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 59.16 ml butter, softened plus extra for greasing
- 10 slice white bread, crusts removed (good quality bread)
- 236.59 ml pitted dates, chopped
- 354.88 ml cream
- 158.51 ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 78.07 ml superfine sugar, plus 2 T
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 14.79 ml light brown sugar, for sprinkling
- whipped cream
- 118.32 ml butter
- 295.73 ml light brown sugar
- 236.59 ml cream
- 59.14 ml brandy
- 59.14 ml sweet sherry
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8-inch square ovenproof baking dish.
- Butter all bread slices.
- Set aside 4 bread slices and cut remaining 6 in half to make triangles.
- Place the 4 whole slices, buttered sides up, in dish.
- Sprinkle chopped dates over top.
- Arrange bread triangles, buttered sides up, on top to cover dates.
- Heat cream and milk in a saucepan, bringing almost to a boil.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs, sugar and vanilla in a heatproof bowl, then pour the hot milk/cream combo on top, whisking as you go, to make a custard.
- Pour over bread and let soak for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over bread.
- Place baking dish in a large roasting pan and carefully pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up side of dish.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until golden and center is just set.
- For toffee sauce:.
- Place butter, sugar and cream in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring throughout.
- Boil 4 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Remove pan from heat, let cool 1 minute, then add brandy and sherry.
- Makes 1 3/4 cups sauce.
- Serve bread with toffee sauce and whipped cream.
- Note: Bread pudding can be made a day ahead, then reheated for about 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven until hot in center.