1 hr 15 mins
From Family Circle magazine
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.16 ml butter, softened plus extra for greasing
- 10 slice white bread, crusts removed (good quality bread)
- 236.59 ml pitted dates, chopped
- 354.88 ml cream
- 158.51 ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 78.07 ml superfine sugar, plus 2 T
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 14.79 ml light brown sugar, for sprinkling
- whipped cream
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Grease an 8-inch square ovenproof baking dish.
- 3Butter all bread slices.
- 4Set aside 4 bread slices and cut remaining 6 in half to make triangles.
- 5Place the 4 whole slices, buttered sides up, in dish.
- 6Sprinkle chopped dates over top.
- 7Arrange bread triangles, buttered sides up, on top to cover dates.
- 8Heat cream and milk in a saucepan, bringing almost to a boil.
- 9Meanwhile, whisk eggs, sugar and vanilla in a heatproof bowl, then pour the hot milk/cream combo on top, whisking as you go, to make a custard.
- 10Pour over bread and let soak for 20 minutes.
- 11Sprinkle brown sugar over bread.
- 12Place baking dish in a large roasting pan and carefully pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up side of dish.
- 13Bake 50-60 minutes or until golden and center is just set.
- 14For toffee sauce:.
- 15Place butter, sugar and cream in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring throughout.
- 16Boil 4 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- 17Remove pan from heat, let cool 1 minute, then add brandy and sherry.
- 18Makes 1 3/4 cups sauce.
- 19Serve bread with toffee sauce and whipped cream.
- 20Note: Bread pudding can be made a day ahead, then reheated for about 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven until hot in center.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Date Bread and Butter Pudding With Easy Boozy Toffee Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 742.4
- Calories from Fat 395
- Total Fat 43.9 g
- Saturated Fat 26.6 g
- Cholesterol 201.3 mg
- Sodium 384.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 56.5 g
- Protein 7.7 g