Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
High fiber that tastes great!!Serve with a little icecream or Diet topping from the high Fiber Cookbook for diabetics by Mabel Cavaiani, R.D.
- 1 cup 100% bran (fiber one, Bran buds or All bran)
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium egg
- 3 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped dates
- Place bran, water, egg, molasses and veggie oil in a small bowl. Mix lightly and let stand at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes. (This timing is very important.)
- Place flour, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, soda and dates in a mixer bowl and mix at low speed for about 1/2 minute to blend well.
- Add the bran mixture and mix at medium speed to blend well. Do not overmix.
- Spread evenly in a well greased 8 inch square pan and bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cake is firm in the centre and draws away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool the cake to room temperature and cut 3 x 4 into 12 equal portions.
- Use 1 square per serving.
- food exchange per serving- 1 bread and 1 fat.
- low sodium diets- omit salt.
- use low sodium baking powder.
- low cholesterol diets- omit egg.
- use 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute.
Wonderful cake - love the higher fiber, and I used half whole wheat flour as well, it was delicious. Moist, easy, and full of good stuff!
This is a very yummy, high fibre, lower fat and sugar cake! The cake is EXTREMELY soft and moist, it almost melts in your mouth. The dates make this cake from great to superb! I found the cake was best still a little warm from the oven. Thanks Derf! This 'll be a regular!