Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
I tried these as a Christmas treat one year. We like them so much I now serve them all year long.
Make and share this Date Bars recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In saucepan over low heat, combine dates, sugar, and water.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened- about 15 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- In large bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and oats on low speed until combined.
- While mixer is running, add butter, a couple pieces at a time.
- Mix until crumb-like, with butter lumps no larger than pea size.
- Using your hands, press and flatten half of the crumb mixture into a greased 9 by 13 pan.
- Spread cooled filling over crust.
- Cover with remaining crumb mixture, patting lightly.
- Bake until lightly browned, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Cool slightly and cut into bars while still in the pan.
- Gently remove cut bars from pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Date bars, stored in an airtight container, refrigerate and freeze well.