Recipe by turtlebug
I tried these as a Christmas treat one year. We like them so much I now serve them all year long.
For the filling
- 3 cups chopped dates
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
For the crust and topping
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- 3⁄4 cup very cold butter, cut into small cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In saucepan over low heat, combine dates, sugar, and water.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened- about 15 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- In large bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and oats on low speed until combined.
- While mixer is running, add butter, a couple pieces at a time.
- Mix until crumb-like, with butter lumps no larger than pea size.
- Using your hands, press and flatten half of the crumb mixture into a greased 9 by 13 pan.
- Spread cooled filling over crust.
- Cover with remaining crumb mixture, patting lightly.
- Bake until lightly browned, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Cool slightly and cut into bars while still in the pan.
- Gently remove cut bars from pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Date bars, stored in an airtight container, refrigerate and freeze well.