Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Betty Crocker Cookbook, 1975. Posted in reply to a request.
- 709.77 ml dates, chopped
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 354.88 ml water
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine
- 59.14 ml shortening
- 236.59 ml brown sugar, packed
- 414.03 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 354.88 ml quick-cooking oats
- Date Filling: Mix 3 cups chopped dates (1 lb.) with 1/4 cup sugar and 1 1/2 cups water in saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes or until thickened; Cool.
- Grease 13x9 baking pan.
- Crust Mixture: Cream butter, shortening, and brown sugar.
- Mix in remaining ingredients.
- Press half the mixture in bottom of pan.
- Spread with filling.
- Top with remaining crumble mixture, pressing lightly.
- Bake at 400°F 25 to 30 minutes or until light brown.
- While warm, cut into bars about 2 inches X 1 1/2 inches.
- VARIATION: You can omit date filling and substitute 1 cup of your favorite jam.
I don't need to try these to know they are good. I make these all the time but I add orange juice not water and no sugar.
Very easy, very delicious!!
Another variation: Whole wheat flour instead of white, and for the date filling I used only 2/3 cup liquid and 2T sugar, along with 1/2 cup of candied ginger. Processed in food processor in 2 batches (divide sugar, water & ginger, too). Didn't need to cook it before spreading it over crust. Great stuff! Thanks for the recipe