- 3 cups dates, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
Directions See How It's Made
- Date Filling: Mix 3 cups chopped dates (1 lb.) with 1/4 cup sugar and 1 1/2 cups water in saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes or until thickened; Cool.
- Grease 13x9 baking pan.
- Crust Mixture: Cream butter, shortening, and brown sugar.
- Mix in remaining ingredients.
- Press half the mixture in bottom of pan.
- Spread with filling.
- Top with remaining crumble mixture, pressing lightly.
- Bake at 400°F 25 to 30 minutes or until light brown.
- While warm, cut into bars about 2 inches X 1 1/2 inches.
- VARIATION: You can omit date filling and substitute 1 cup of your favorite jam.