Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
In these, the dates are mixed right into the batter.
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely broken walnut meats
- 3 1⁄2 cups pitted dates, cut into small pieces
- icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Butter and line with parchment a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Beat butter in medium bowl.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until combined (mixture will appear grainy).
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in milk and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in small bowl.
- Add to butter mixture and stir until just blended.
- Mix dates and walnuts gently into batter.
- Transfer batter to pan; smooth top.
- Bake until top is brown and tester comes out clean (with a few moist crumbs attached), about 35 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Run knife around edge of pan to loosen.
- Reverse carefully onto cookie sheet.
- Peel off parchment.
- Invert again.
- Cool. Cut into bars.
- Sift icing sugar over.
if i die from anything it would be tiramisu, so when my husband brought me a slice home, i decided to make him these date bars to throw the scent off my tiramisu...as it happens, the tiramisu is intact in the fridge and i have devoured two slabs of these already! my husband, who is a huge date fan, loved these too. one of the reasons i chose this recipe is that it doesn't require the immoderate amounts of butter and sugar that other recipes do. even so, i was a bit chary as i made the recipe, but the taste laid all doubts to rest. i only used to cups of dates as i didn't want to overwhelm the batter and wanted to be able to taste the "cake" part of it. i should also point out that my attempt yielded 22 bars and they were fairly generously sliced. thanks for a lovely recipe!
evelyn, these are absolutely delish! i halved the recipe; there are only two of us. (actually i'll be only one devouring these!) i already had two pieces as i typed this... the sweetness is just right, and i love the combi of walnuts and the dates i bought from dubai. truly, truly a TREAT. i also posted a pic, i hope it's not too hazy. thanks! (PICK A CHEF) And i'm embarrassed to tell u that i also licked the spoon clean, and very tempted to lick the bowl too. ;-)
These have good flavor, and I will make them again... but will tweak the recipe. I did cut the sugar in half and they were still nicely sweet. I chopped over 2 cups of dates, and that seemed like plenty in ratio to the cake part. But the finished product was really dry, which I didn't expect for a date bar. Next time I will try adding a bit of applesauce and also baking less time.