Recipe by Leah's Kitchen
Similar to fig newtons but with dates! It uses honey to sweeten it instead of sugar which compliments the dates nicely. This recipe is from the American Wholefoods Cuisine cookbook.
Top Review by CarrolJ
These bars were a disappointment. They were too dry and tasted mostly like flavorless crust. I dribbled extra honey on the top after tasting and they were more palatable. Made for ZWT #6 - 2010.
For the Filling
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
For the Crust
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt. Stir in oil and honey until well blended together.
- Combine dates and water and simmer in a saucepan for about 5 minutes until soft and thick.
- Stir in honey.
- Pat only half of the crust into a greased 8x8 square pan making a thin layer all the way to the edges.
- Spread date filling over the crust smoothing it out so it covers all of the crust beneath it.
- Pat the remaining crust out on wax paper and transfer ontop of the date filling, remove wax paper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes untili firm and golden.
- Cool in pan.
- Cut in small squares to serve. Enjoy!