Recipe by Cookie Jarvis
My sister got a pan of these along with her birthday cake every year. Lucky her! (I didn't have it so bad. My mom always got me a bag of chocolate covered raisins on mine.) But this recipe is so easy, you really should make it more than once a year!
Top Review by FloridaNative
These date bars are FABULOUS! I made 1/2 recipe and they turned out wonderfully. I substituted butter for the shortening and made in a pie pan. Wonderfully sweet flavor without being heavy. Great recipe Cookie Jarvis! Made for Spring PAC 2010!
- 453.59 g dates, chopped
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml water
- 177.44 ml soft shortening
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 414.03 ml flour
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 354.88 ml oats
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook dates, sugar and water in heavy saucepan to the consistency of jam. Let cool.
- Cream shortening with the brown sugar.
- Sift flour, soda, and salt into the creamed mixture.
- Add oats and mix until well blended.
- Put half of oat mixture in a greased 13x9x2 pan.
- Press and flatten to cover the bottom.
- Spread with date filling.
- Cover with remaining oat mixture. Pat smooth.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.