Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my Grama's recipe. It's a delicious and easy bar cookie. I love them because I remember always having them at Christmastime when I was a little kid in the early 60's right up until just a few years ago, when my Grama's age and health precluded her from making them any longer.
- 3 eggs, Separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans or 3⁄4 cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- confectioners' sugar (for Dusting Bars)
- Beat egg yolks until thick and add all other ingredients.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into first mixture.
- Spread evenly into a 9x9-inch square pan.
- Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool and cut into bars. Dust or roll bars in confectioner's sugar.
These date bars are WONDERFUL! Very moist and oh so yummy! Quick to make also! Diana