Recipe by mandabears
This is a very easy date bar recipe that uses evaporated milk, which I think makes it moist and creamy and very delicious. It comes from Nestle/Carnation via another web site. I have been baking these since I found the recipe in 2002.
- 8 ounces chopped dates
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup quick oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease 8-inch square pan.
- In a medium saucepan combine dates, evaporated milk, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Cook over medium-low heat stirring occasionally for 8-10 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until fluffy and creamy.
- Beat in flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- With floured fingers press 1/2 of crust mixture in bottom of pan.
- Spread date filling over crust.
- Crumble remaining crumb mixture evenly over date filling.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.