Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
These wonderful triple-layer sweets have a simple streusel topping. Prep time does not include cooling.
Oat Crust and Topping
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats or 1 cup quick-cooking oats, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (10 ounce) container pitted dates, chopped
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9"x9" metal baking pan. Line pan with foil; grease foil.
- Prepare Oat Crust & Topping: In a large bowl, with hand, mix flour, oats, brown sugar, butter, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until mixture comes together. Transfer 2 cups mixture to baking pan; reserve remaining mixture for crumb topping. With hand, press mixture evenly onto bottom of pan to form a crust. Bake crust 10 minutes. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Turn off oven.
- While crust is cooling, prepare Date Filling: In 2-quart saucepan, cook dates, brown sugar, and water over medium heat until mixture thickens and all liquid is absorbed, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Spoon Date filling into bowl; refrigerate until cool, about 30 minutes.
- When filling is cool, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread filling over crust; top with reserved crumb mixture. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until topping is golden. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- When cool, transfer with foil to cutting board. Cut into 4 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 3 pieces.