- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated fresh lemon rind
- 8 ounces pitted dates, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Set aside.
- Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan and preheat oven to 350°F Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in eggs and vanilla until well blended.
- Stir in the flour mixture.
- Add the peel, dates, and nuts.
- Put batter in baking dish, sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoons sugar, and bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes.
- Cool in pan on a rack.
- Cut in squares while still warm.