Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This was one of my mother's recipes for Christmas cookies. These moist and crisp cookies are fun and easy to make. These cookies get better over time when the flavors blend together. Enjoy.
- 236.59 ml butter
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 2 eggs
- 29.58 ml milk
- 946.36 ml Rice Krispies
- 473.18 ml dates, chopped
- 4.92 ml salt
- 236.59 ml pecans, chopped
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 198.44 g package flaked coconut
- Melt butter and sugar carefully.
- Add chopped dates and cook until it boils. Take off heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Add milk and salt into well beaten eggs and stir into hot date mixture.
- Boil mixture 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla and nuts.
- Let cool, then add Rice Crispies and stir.
- Butter hands, and shape into well rounded tablespoon size balls and roll in coconut.
- Store in air-tight container.
My grandmother used to make these date balls. However, I had misplaced the recipe. They turned out just like I remembered. Thanks for posting!
This is a classic in our house and I'm so glad to have found it again here in the 'Zaar. I just inherited a nice batch of fresh dates from the neighbor of a friend and now I know exactly what I'm going to do with them! This is more like a candy than a cookie and keeps very well. The flavors are fantastic.
Carol and I were partners in the cookie swap and this was one of the recipes we made together. I made these again this year for Christmas cookie trays. They are so very good, easy to make and keep very well.