1/1 Photo of Date and Walnut Rolls
1 hr 20 mins
This recipe has been adapted from an Australian Women's Weekly Recipe. It makes two rolls. It keeps for a month or so if wrapped in plastic cling wrap and placed it in the freezer. You can slice it and freeze in single serves to take in your lunch box. Can substitute pecans for the walnuts or leave them out all together (just add in some extra dates instead). I also make a gluten-free version of this recipe see Date & Walnut Rolls - Gluten Free
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dates, chopped (dried pitted dates)
- 1 cup brown sugar, measure firmly packed
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 60 g butter
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup walnuts or 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 cups self-raising flour (alternately use 2 cups plain flour and 4 teaspoons baking powder)
- 1Grease 2 - 8cm round x 17cm long nut roll tins. If you do not have nut roll tins you can use a bar loaf tin and cover it tightly in foil- the result is not as quite as good.
- 2Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F ).
- 3Combine the date, butter, sugar and water in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until the sugar and butter have melted. Bring to boiling point and then remove from the heat.
- 4Allow the mixture to cool.
- 5Stir the sifted bicarbonate soda, sifted flour, egg and nuts into the cooled date mixture.
- 6Spoon the mixture into the greased tins. Replace the lids tightly and bake upright in a moderate oven for 40 minutes.
- 7Stand rolls ten minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool.
- 8Serve sliced with butter.
- 9Suitable to slice and freeze.
- 10As a variation you can use pecan nuts or macadamias in place of the walnuts.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Date and Walnut Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.7
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 21.2 mg
- Sodium 269.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 20.4 g
- Protein 2.8 g