Prep 48 mins
Cook 36 mins
This delicious treat is from The Food column by Anjali Vellody of the Weekend. Hope you enjoy it!
- 5 sheets phyllo pastry
- 3 -4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 375 g fresh dates, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pistachios, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons chopped orange rind
- 3⁄4 cup cream
- Cut a sheet of baking paper to the same size as the filo pastry sheet and spread it on a flat surface.
- Place a filo pastry sheet on the baking sheet.
- Brush the pastry with melted butter.
- Layer all the sheets of pastry together, brushing each layer with the melted butter.
- Combine the walnuts, dates, cinnamon, pistachios, ginger, nutmeg, orange rind and cream well in a pan.
- Stir well and cook until all the cream is absorbed.
- Keep it aside to cool.
- Spread the mixture over the layered pastry sheet, leaving a 4.5 cm space at the end of one side.
- Roll the filo pastry from the other end.
- Use the paper beneath the filo pastry as a guideline to rolling the pastry straight through till the end.
- Cover the rolled pastry.
- Refrigerate for 25-30 minutes.
- Slice roll into 2 cm width pinwheels, arrange the pinwheels 3 cm apart on a greased baking tray.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven on Gas mark 4 for around 20 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and light golden brown in colour.
- Allow to cool before serving.