Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Full of nuts and dates, a wonderfully simple recipe, really tasty and for a cake, nutritious, healthy and completely fat free.
- 8 ounces self raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces brown sugar, light
- 8 ounces dates, dried, seedless
- 3 ounces walnuts
- 1 egg
- 5 fluid ounces milk
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F).
- Chop dates into small dice and chop walnuts.
- Sift flour baking powder and salt into bowl, mix in the sugar dates and walnuts.
- Lightly beat egg and milk together and stir into mixture.
- Mix well until batter is smooth.
- Cook in prepared loaf tin for approximately 45 - 60 minutes.
- To keep moist, after it’s cooled for half an hour or so, drape a clean tea towel over the cake.
- You can slice up all the cake and freeze it wrapped in foil.
um, there is actually saturated fat in the nuts, eggs and milk!!! I make a fat free loaf with dates, but it has no nuts, egg or milk, and has some grated carrot in it- very moist!
deeeee-licious moist easy to prepare will make double next time for gift giving