Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a very tasty, moist, sin free loaf. When sliced it's also great toasted, spread with low fat cream cheese. You can also include mixed nuts & carob buttons to the walnuts as a variation. You can also substitute the maple syrup for golden syrup. The loaf also freezes well.
- 1 cup chopped dried pitted dates
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to moderate (180C/160C fan forced) Grease a 14cm x 21cm loaf pan.
- Combine dates and maple syrup in a large heatproof bowl, add the boiling water and stand for 15 minutes.
- Add walnuts, sugar, rolled oats, sifted flour and soda, stir into date mixture until well combined.
- Spread mixture into the prepared pan, sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake for approximately 50 minutes or until cooked when tested. Stand for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
I was looking for a way to use up some chopped dates & this bread fit the bill - not too sweet, a little dense, with the right amount of healthy flavor I was looking for - great toasted with a little whipped cream cheese on top!