Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an easy and delicious cake. It has been in my family for years, Its the very 1st cake i baked. I always have chopped dates and nuts in the freezer, so when a recipe calls for either its easy just to whip out.
- 1 1⁄4 cups of chopped dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 125 g butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup of chopped pecan nuts
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on dates pour the water over and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Sift the flour and baking powder.
- Cream butter and sugar well.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Add sifted flour mixture to the egg mixture.
- Fold in the date mixture and pecans into the butter and flour mix Bake in a tube or bundt pan@ 180 celsius for 35-45 minute.
- Allow to cool and pour topping over.
- Decorate with chocolate covered dates and pecans.
- Combine all the topping ingredients in a saucepan and cook on hight for 6-8 minutes.
My hasband & i love this cake thank you for share This is very nice to serve with vanilla icecream & top with roasted coconut wonderful recipe
This is a different take on one of our favorite desserts, Sticky Toffee Pudding. I love the addition of chopped pecans, it adds a lovely texture to the whole thing. I used a package of chopped dates that I always have on hand in the house, they sell it here specifically for baking purposes. We had this warm with vanilla ice cream on the side. Thanks for posting, I'm going to make this often!