Recipe by lemoncurd
This is an easy and delicious cake. It has been in my family for years, Its the very 1st cake i baked. I always have chopped dates and nuts in the freezer, so when a recipe calls for either its easy just to whip out.
- 1 1⁄4 cups of chopped dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 125 g butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup of chopped pecan nuts
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on dates pour the water over and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Sift the flour and baking powder.
- Cream butter and sugar well.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Add sifted flour mixture to the egg mixture.
- Fold in the date mixture and pecans into the butter and flour mix Bake in a tube or bundt pan@ 180 celsius for 35-45 minute.
- Allow to cool and pour topping over.
- Decorate with chocolate covered dates and pecans.
- Combine all the topping ingredients in a saucepan and cook on hight for 6-8 minutes.