Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a Rose Reisman recipe served as a morning bread, snack or dessert. Always a winner.
- 8 ounces whole pitted dates
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with vegetable spray.
- Put the dates and orange juice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring often, or until the dates are soft and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Mash with a wooden spoon until combined.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil, eggs, orange zest, vanilla and yogurt.
- Stir in the date mixture and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine both flours, the Splenda, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and nutmeg, and add to the wet ingredients.
- Mix until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.