Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another of my Mom's recipes. They are delicious !!!! Not sure exactly how many this recipe makes. 2 to 3 dozen or more maybe. Believe me, you will want to double the recipe.
- 2 3⁄8 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped dates
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup shortening (i use butter or marg.)
- 1 1⁄4 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- Sift flour, baking soda & salt together 3 times. Add dates & walnuts.
- Cream shortening & then blend in brown sugar, then add egg and beat well.
- Stir in orange rind to the shortening mixture.
- Add the flour mixture, combining until well mixed.
- Drop dough by spoonful, well apart on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350F for 10 minutes.