Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
My mom used to make a cake that contained dates, nuts and maraschino cherries. I don’t have her exact recipe so I recreated it by substituting a similar recipe for a delicious date and nut cake and added maraschino cherries. (The basic cake recipe is adapted from Maida Heatter.) Note re maraschino cherries: Most of the brands available in the U.S. are an imitation of an Italian product and contain lots of preservatives. Trader Joe’s sells a version of maraschino cherries without all the chemicals.
- 8 ounces pitted dates, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup maraschino cherry, drained and quartered
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Butter a 9” square cake pan.
- Put dates, butter and baking soda in a bowl. Carefully pour boiling water over the dates; let cool.
- Meanwhile, mix flour and baking powder. In a separate bowl, mix egg and vanilla.
- When the date mixture is cool, stir in egg mixture and then stir in flour mixture.
- Stir in nuts and cherries.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan; bake for about 25-30 minutes.