Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Lemon-flavored icing tops these scrumptious, low-fat muesli bars. They make the perfect mid-morning pick-me-up with a cup of coffee. From The Big Bean Cookbook.
- 3 1⁄2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup dried dates, chopped
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup muesli (granola)
- 2 tablespoons roasted sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- 2 tablespoons sultanas (golden raisins)
- 2⁄3 cup natural low-fat yogurt (plain)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 3⁄4 cups icing sugar, sifted (confectioner's sugar)
- lemon juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon toasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C/Gas4. Line a 11x17 shallow baking pan with baking parchment.
- Mix together all the ingredients except the icing sugar, lemon juice and pumpkin seeds.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the pan and bake for about 25 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- To make the topping, put the icing sugar in a bowl and stir in just enough lemon juice to give a thick, spreading consistency.
- Spread the lemon topping over the baked mixture and sprinkle generously with pumpkin seeds.
- Allow icing to set before cutiing into squares or bars.
I love the ingredients in this bar but for some reason it didn't set up for me...wondering if it was supposed to have the 3.5 cups of brown sugar? Anyway, I'm glad I tried it for ZWT #7.