Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I made these today, and we're enjoying them very much. Not having any wholemeal SR flour, I used white cake flour. Recipe is from Australian Good Taste magazine, November 1998.
- Preheat oven to 200°C Brush 12 medium, 80mls (1/3 cup) muffin pans with the melted butter to grease.
- Place the butter, dates, maple syrup and water in a small saucepan. Cover and heat over medium heat for 6 minutes, stirring Occasionally, or until the butter has melted. (See microwave tip at end of directions.)
- Remove from the heat and stir in the milk.
- Sift together flour and mixed spice in large bowl and return husks to bowl.
- Add date mixture and eggs and stir with a large metal spoon until just combined. Don't overmix - the mixture should be lumpy.
- Spoon mixture evenly into the greased muffin pans and bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until browned and cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- Turn muffins onto a wire rack and brush the tops with some of the extra maple syrup. Serve with the extra butter and drizzled with the remaining extra maple syrup.
- Notes & tips.
- Note: These muffins are great eaten hot from the oven, but are just as delicious at room temperature. They will keep well in an airtight container for up to 2 days. To reheat, place on baking tray, cover with foil and place in oven preheated to 180°C for 10 minutes.
- Microwave tip: place butter, dates, maple syrup and water in a medium heat-resistant, microwave-safe bowl or jug. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes on Medium-High/650watts/70% or until the butter has melted.