I made these today, and we're enjoying them very much. Not having any wholemeal SR flour, I used white cake flour. Recipe is from Australian Good Taste magazine, November 1998.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C Brush 12 medium, 80mls (1/3 cup) muffin pans with the melted butter to grease.
- 2Place the butter, dates, maple syrup and water in a small saucepan. Cover and heat over medium heat for 6 minutes, stirring Occasionally, or until the butter has melted. (See microwave tip at end of directions.)
- 3Remove from the heat and stir in the milk.
- 4Sift together flour and mixed spice in large bowl and return husks to bowl.
- 5Add date mixture and eggs and stir with a large metal spoon until just combined. Don't overmix - the mixture should be lumpy.
- 6Spoon mixture evenly into the greased muffin pans and bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until browned and cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- 7Turn muffins onto a wire rack and brush the tops with some of the extra maple syrup. Serve with the extra butter and drizzled with the remaining extra maple syrup.
- 8Notes & tips.
- 9Note: These muffins are great eaten hot from the oven, but are just as delicious at room temperature. They will keep well in an airtight container for up to 2 days. To reheat, place on baking tray, cover with foil and place in oven preheated to 180°C for 10 minutes.
- 10Microwave tip: place butter, dates, maple syrup and water in a medium heat-resistant, microwave-safe bowl or jug. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes on Medium-High/650watts/70% or until the butter has melted.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Date and Maple Syrup Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (84 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 185.6
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 55.9 mg
- Sodium 71.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 22.9 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
wholemeal self-rising flour