Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe comes from Dana Jacobi, author of The Joy of Soy and recipe creator for the American Institute for Cancer Research's "Stopping Cancer Before It Starts." I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good, and I love dates!
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1 large banana, well mashed
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat an 81/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 loaf pan with canola oil spray. Set aside.
- In one bowl, combine the banana, dates, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and maple syrup. In another bowl, combine the two flours, baking powder and salt. Set both bowls aside.
- In a large bowl, use a wooden spoon to cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs. The mixture may look curdled. Stir in the dry ingredients. Blend in the banana mixture, creating a sticky, thick batter. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing it evenly.
- Bake 35 minutes, or until the top is well-browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake rest 2 minutes in the pan, then turn out and cool it completely on a rack. If possible, wrap it in foil and set it aside for 24 hours before serving, to allow the flavors to mellow.
- If desired, slices of cake can be warmed just before serving by wrapping them in wax paper and heating in a microwave at low power for a few seconds.
- Makes 10 one-inch slices.
This loaf is amazing! i started making it a couple years ago and my friends still ask for it every fall/winter. works great with any dried fruit - figs, etc could also be used. i add walnuts when i have them. consistency is on the drier side, but i like it that way, warmed up, with peanut butter and tea. perfect!