Recipe by cookingpompom
Serve sliced and topped with butter and a cup of tea. I have had this recipe for about 7 years, a girlfriend made this and I HAD to have the recipe. This makes either 1 square cake OR two small loaves.
- 100 g butter
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup crystalised ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the dates, sugar and ginger. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer for 2 minutes. Add the bicarb, transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the egg and sifted flour - fold carefully to mix.
- Pour into a well greased and lioned 20 cm square tin and bake at 180oC (360F) for 40 minutes (or until cooked when tested with a skewer).
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and turn out.
- Best served warm with butter.