- 2 1⁄2 cups self raising flour
- 180 g dates, diced
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4-1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 80 g dried apricots, chopped
- 100 g walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Add dates to hot coffee and allow to soften and cool.
- Add vanilla and butter to the date mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour with sugar and cinnamon. Make a well in the centre, add coffee mixture.
- Mix through, add eggs and stir until just combined.
- Add dried apricots and walnuts, stir through but do not overmix.
- Bake in a loaf pan at 180 degrees (350) for one hour; if top browns too quickly cover with foil. Test with a skewer.